3.19.12 | Designers design, that is find ways to achieve objectives, and ASID and IIDA have been collaborating – in a very meaningful way – to explore and develop common ground, particularly over the past year, rather than continuing to butt their head against the proverbial brick wall of a possible merger. That is, they are aggressively creating opportunities for the type of joint action that will promote the interior design profession and create the mutual trust necessary to create need break throughs.
- MyResourceLibrary Launching Enhanced Search, Project Binder Sharing Capabilities
- On-Demand EDAC Exam Prep Study Tool Offers Convenience
- Crossville Releases 2014 Sustainability Report
- Herman Miller Announces a New Tool for Learning About a Product's Sustainability
- Seeyond Installs Two-Story Lighted Media Wall in Manhattan
- Mancini•Duffy Completes Transformation of Normandy Real Estate Partners’ 575 Lexington Avenue
- Dina Radoncic Promoted to EVP at Meadows Office Furniture
- Edwina LeNet Named New Meadows Director
- Kentwood Office Furniture Adds Sales Administrator
- Mannington Mills Expanding in Georgia
- Atlas to Present at APTA PPS Conference
- Join Prosecco, Saigon Sisters & more at: DIFFA/Chicago Dining By Design 2014
- American Society of Landscape Architects 2014 Annual Meeting & EXPO Nov. 21-24
- 2nd Annual LAMP Design Competition Event Nov 20-24
- KI Lifts Off with Miami A&D Community During "Blu Sky Design" Themed Event
- ILEX Debuts Trio of New Lights by Michael Graves
- Invision Introduces Student Union Collection
- Robert Allen Right Away Delivers In-Stock Selections on the Double
- Jubilee Collection New from Sina Pearson Textiles
- Fritz Hansen Announces the New NAP™
- Sosa: Now Available!
- Tesano: Quote-Ready!
- Innovation Pavilion At ABX Features ASI Interwoven Eco-Panels
- Architecture Billings Index Shows Robust Conditions Ahead for Construction Industry
- USG Corporation Reports Record Ceilings Results and 2014 Third Quarter Results
- Interface Reports Third Quarter 2014 Results
- Interface Declares Regular Quarterly Dividend
- Kimball International, Inc. Holds Annual Meeting of Share Owners and Declares Dividend
- IFI President's Bulletin | A Special Message
- Baldanzi & Novelli @ Orgatec 2014
- AndNews October 2014
- Robert Allen Expands Solids & Textures Collection
- ATI Decorative Laminates Expands MirroFlex Offerings for Fall 2014
- Kinetex Wins Product Innovation Award
- KTGY Receives Prestigious Firm Mentorship Award from AIA California Council; Award Highlights KTGY's Generation-to-Generation Focus
- IIDA Announces 5th Annual Global Excellence Awards
- Joseph Aliotta Joins Perkins Eastman as Principal
- Brian Scranton Joins Neutral Posture as National Sales Manager
- Beaufurn Hires New Representative Groups
- DeskMakers Names Seibold Baker as Midwest Rep Firm
- Knoll Reports Strong Third Quarter Results; Office Segment Margins and Profits at Highest Level Since 2012
- Crossville Launches Yin + Yang Natural Stone Collection
- New Sustainable Office Designs from BuzziSpace
- Self-Illuminating Light Sources
3.19.12 | In her recent book, designer/architect Shashi Caan has combined a history of interior design with a polemic on what interior design should become. Ms. Caan, the current president of the International Federation of Interior Architects/Designers, argues that interior design of the future must be firmly based on research and a scientific understanding of the human mind and environmental aesthetics.
3.19.12 | Teknion Corporation opened its new 7,300-sq.-ft. showroom in Atlantic Station. Created by tvsdesign, Atlanta, and Vanderbyl Design, San Francisco, white pleated walls rise to the ceiling and strategically placed pleated screens create visual layers and define zones focusing on furniture vignettes. The new L-shaped site with soaring ceilings “succeeds both as a dynamic space and a neutral backdrop that maximizes the furniture’s impact,” said Maxine Mann, President of Teknion’s U.S. operations.
3.19.12 | The latest IIDA-NY Pioneering Design event featured designer Todd Oldham giving a history lesson in Modern design based on on his recently published comprehensive monograph on Alexander Girard. This reminded many of us that Modernism wasn’t just concerned with contextualizing natural elements for the human scale and being emotionally reserved, it was also about having fun with color, form and shape in everyday life.
3.19.12 | How do you decide what to name places, products, and projects? Kyle Jasmin and Daniel Casasanto’s recent research gives you something new to think about when you’re selecting a name.
3.12.12 | With well conceived and products and projects, the whole acquires a life of its own. Architects and interior designers know well what this means and the result that occurs when a building, interior and exterior, is an integrated whole with all parts working to create a result that otherwise eludes projects. The term “interoperable” captures one such overriding characteristic, and it is becoming an important concept in interiors furnishings, especially in environments where change is frequent and often dramatic. In the case of walls from DIRTT Environmental Solutions, interoperable refers to their ability to interface and integrate with the miscellany of furnishings and technical equipment that constitute the varied and often task-specific healthcare environments.
3.12.12 | LMNOP is a professional development group that was created to address the specific needs of the A&D community. Born out of the economic downturn in 2009, the organization now has the mission of connecting, supporting and advising its membership in a proactive and productive environment. LMNOP’s workshops, mentoring and networking activities seek to keep design professionals current and working in our community, hoping to decelerate the loss of talented and experienced industry professionals to other industries, especially during recessionary periods. In addition, its programs are designed to develop the business acumen and creative talents of those just entering the profession.
3.12.12 | Save A Sample!’s annual recycling event from April 3-5 is fast approaching. New this year, in addition to events in Boston, Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington DC, Save A Sample! has now expanded to Los Angeles and San Francisco. Wilsonart has signed on as Save A Sample! Gold National Sponsor and Formica as its Silver National Sponsor.
3.12.12 | Tony McCaffrey developed the generic-parts technique (GPT) to increase the odds that innovative solutions to problems are uncovered. GPT seems to be quite effective – people using it significantly improve their ability to solve problems, since it “helps subjects think beyond the common functions associated with an object and its parts.”
3.4.12 | IIDEX/NeoCon Canada, Canada’s largest design expo and conference, is developing a personality and purpose that makes it distinctly different from any other design show in North America. It intends to explore and exploit what should exist, but is too often missing, in our built environment: the natural synergy between architecture and interior design. A press conference hosted by Interior Designers of Canada (IDC) and Architecture Canada-Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) indicates that, in Canada, architects don’t just respect interior designers, they’re courting them.
3.4.12 | This year, for the first time in its 34-year history, the Pritzker Prize is going to a Chinese architect. This award is not just a landmark for the design world's nearest equivalent to a Nobel, but it signals China's rising status in the world of design. The work of the 2012 recipient, Wang Shu, shows vividly that the architecture profession in China can now produce the kind of high-profile work that wins international attention – and is ready to handle commissions of worldwide significance.
3.4.12 | Some companies have a tradition that tends to perpetuate itself, a sort of Newtonian law of momentum. In the contract furnishings area, Knoll is one of them. So, when Suzanne Tick stepped down as creative director for Knoll Textiles, we were not surprised that her successor, Dorothy Cosonas, would pick up that baton and take this enterprise to its next achievements. Just last year, her work was featured in an exhibition on KnollTextiles at the Bard Graduate Center in New York. Now, seven new Knoll Textile offerings have been select for the permanent collection of Smithsonian Cooper Hewitt, National Design Museum.
3.4.12 | It seems clear that the clothes we wear have some influence on how we think, but this topic has not been thoroughly researched. A new study indicates that clothes influence us in the same sorts of ways as other elements of our physical environments – both their physical and symbolic parameters have an important influence on our thought processes.