4.29.12 | An opening party and the sampling of Napa Valley’s Ziata wine at the Luna Textiles’s showroom in the New York Design Center officially launched Luna’s East Coast operations hub. Anna Hernandez, Luna CEO and founder, Michael Vanderbyl, ubiquitous and multi-talented designer, and Amy Pisansky, Luna’s new VP of Sales, were joined by Karen Cakebread of Ziata to serve up an elegant array of delights.
- ASID July IDBI Shows Positive Momentum
- Andrew Martin Interior Design Review Volume 18
- Workplace Design News from Knoll
- Heimtextil: Frankfurt am Main, Jan. 14-17, 2015
- Architects Get Behind the Wheel - 10th Annual Road Rally
- Architectural Systems Introduces MIXX™ Porcelain
- Architectural Systems Introduces the Manhattan Vinyl Collection
- FM BENCHMARKING Aligns With OSCRE Standards
- IFMA Names John Perry, MBA, Chief Operating Officer
- Mark Fischer Joins Lane Office
- Fritz Hansen Welcomes TORP Toronto
- SIXINCH First To Comply With CAL 133 And BFD IX-10 Fire Regulations
- Source International Introduces Sash by Gemma Bernal
- Bold Patterns, Earthy New Colors Highlight Móz Designs Engravings Collection
- Suzanne Tick Introduces Code - A Change In How We Work
- Shaw Contract Group Announces 2014 Design Is..Award Global Winners
- IIDA Announces Winners of Second Annual Best of Asia Pacific Design Awards
- IIDA 13th Annual Product Parade Oct. 15 in Philadelphia
- Dwell on Design New York Oct. 9-11
- ArtPrize 2014 - 10 Events You Don't Want To Miss
- WORKTECH14 West Coast Future of Work Conference Oct. 9 in San Francisco
- New CCIM Thrive Conference in Los Angeles Oct. 21-22
- IFMA’s World Workplace Conference and Expo Arrives in New Orleans Next Week
- IFMA’s World Workplace Conference and Expo to Provide Cutting-Edge Facility Management Educational Opportunities
- IFMA’s World Workplace Conference and Expo Features Strong Keynote Speaker Lineup
- IFMA’s World Workplace Exposition Features World-Class Facility Solutions & Is Free To Attend
- Oct 18 | Michael Graves Retrospective Exhibition to Open at Grounds For Sculpture
- Inscape Announces First Quarter Results
- Steelcase Inc. to Webcast Second Quarter Conference Call
- Herman Miller Partners With Unbranded Designs
- Camira’s Century Blends Wool With Recycled Jute From Coffee Sacks
- Camira Launches Brilliantly Upgraded Blazer Lite
- Beaufurn's New Commercial Seating Intros for Fall 2014
- OMA Appoints Four New Partners
- Steven M Lawler to Lead M Moser Associates in the USA
- Reminder: 9/17 IDLNY Grass Roots Town Hall
- Applied Brilliance Conference: New Dates April 20-21, 2015
- Get Ready for NeoCon East, Baltimore Oct. 29-30
- Configura Announces September Webinars
- Configura Announces Call For Entries For 7th Annual Best of CET Designer Awards
- Atlas Ergonomics Releases Office Ergonomic Software Upgrade
- Duravit Competition Deadline Extended: Due 9/12
- Industry Veteran Bill Sotomayor To Head New NYC Office of Ware Malcomb
- Sign up for Save A Sample! 2015
- IIDA Announces Opening of Second Annual EDspaces Innovation Awards
4.29.12 | The moderator for the IIDA-NY Chapter Pioneering Design lecture series on color awareness, Linda O’Keefe, recently published a book entitled, Brilliant: White in Design. Did not this perfect irony portend and interesting evening with colorful designers Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz and Jamie Drake?
4.29.12 | Few new companies have had as much impact on the interiors scene in the past decade as 3form, a manufacturer of sustainable building materials and architectural hardware solutions. Recently, the company was awarded HA+D’s (Hospitality Architecture+Design) Readers’ Choice Award for its Nature Gallery product and the Green Plus Award for PaperCut, both in the Surface Materials category.
4.29.12 | Rows of low profile, workbench-style furniture – Antenna Workspaces and Generation work chairs by Knoll – radiate from the central core and foster collaboration and provide welcome external views for everyone. Private focus work areas located throughout were created with frameless clear glass panels to preserve views and connectivity to teams.
4.29.12 | Chris Baldry and Alison Barnes investigated the implications of providing academics with open offices or with single person offices with floor to ceiling walls and a full height door.
4.22.12 | Felderman Keatinge, Los Angeles, is a small firm, but its ideas and designs are far from small or parochial, although a few currents of the Southern California fresh air are unmistakable. The firm won an Interiors Award for its iCrete project in the Small Office category. After the Interiors Breakfast, I snagged Mr. Felderman and Ms. Keatinge for a chat at the nearby Haworth NYC showroom, looking forward to enjoying a few minutes in that impressive and uplifting space and, perhaps, spending some more time in the FKA Collaborate chair, introduced by Haworth at NeoCon 2011.
4.22.12 | Momentum Textiles is launching a Memo Take Back program called 2 Clicks, so called because that's all it will take to return samples to Momentum's warehouse for recycling. That is why Momentum is making it a priority to offer, among other things, tech-savvy solutions to help. This is just part of a more comprehensive program that includes a Tube Takeback program, quilts for the homeless, and jackets for rescue dogs. Being environmentally responsible takes time and effort.
4.22.12 | Architecture firm Francis Cauffman did the redesign of the former federal courthouse, the Daniel L. Herrmann Courthouse, in downtown Wilmington for Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor, LLP. Young Conaway is the sole tenant of the 233,880-sq.-ft. courthouse built in 1916 and vacant since 2002.
4.22.12 | Gensler announced the winners of its fourth annual Gensler Diversity Scholarship, which recognizes emerging talent in African-American college students enrolled in accredited architecture programs. First prize went to Chisom Ezekwo of the University of Southern California, who is currently pursuing dual Bachelor of Science in Public Policy, Management, and Planning and Bachelor of Architecture degrees. Second prize was awarded to Damian Bolden, an architecture student at Auburn University.
4.22.12 | Research presented by Chris Pawson, Sarah Doherty, Laura Martin, Ruth Soares, Caroline Edmonds, and Mark Gardner on April 18 at the British Psychological Society’s annual conference indicates that human cognitive performance is influenced by hydration.
4.16.12 | We were particularly pleased that Stylex Seating from the U.S. received one of the Red Dot Award: Product Design 2012 awards for its SAVA chair, introduced at NeoCon 2010. The SAVA is an excellent chair that easily avoids stuffy formality while capturing an elegant comfortability, along with all of the expected ergonomic flexibility and adjustability.
4.16.12 | HBF and HBF Textiles added its annual contribution to the ushering in of some of the interior design industry’s uninitiated by hosting the ninth annual Pratt Institute Career Night at its showroom at the New York Design Center. Over fifty students were on hand to meet with key decision-makers of ten design firms in the New York area. Diane Barnes, HBF’s New York manager, made some opening remarks before the speed networking began.
4.16.12 | Does the contract furniture distribution model inhibit innovation in the industry because some contract furniture manufacturers restrict their aligned dealerships from selling certain “competitor” products? This is not a very thoughtful question, placing, as it does, a tactical problem in a strategic context. Surely, the market doesn’t always welcome “innovation,” especially when new products simply don’t add meaningful differentiating value to the market. But, this in turn, spurs innovation in other directions, such as new types of products and new means of distribution.
Random Walk >>
4.16.12 | The New York Eleven 2012 Student Exhibition, titled Interior Design: Raising the Bar will run in Albany’s Legislative Office Building from April 17th until April 19th. After that, it will be on display in Knoll’s New York City showroom from April 25th – April 27th. These exhibitions raise the awareness of the complexity and responsibilities of the interior design profession.
4.16.12 | Following its award-winning launch at NeoCon 2011 – Best of NeoCon Gold in Architectural Products and an Innovation Award – Seeyond Architectural Solutions will bring a new library of fully customizable Thought Starter concepts to NeoCon 2012. The Minneapolis-based company has also expanded its range of material options.
Research Design Connections: Smelling and Navigating – Sometimes Men and Women Are Not Created Equal
4.16.12 | An article recently posted on ScienceNordic highlights gender-based differences in sensory systems that influence the experience of design and design research. Women have a keener sense of smell than men … however, “The tables are turned when studies are being made of navigation skills. That’s where men rule.”