4.29.12 | An opening party and the sampling of Napa Valley’s Ziata wine at the Luna Textiles’s showroom in the New York Design Center officially launched Luna’s East Coast operations hub. Anna Hernandez, Luna CEO and founder, Michael Vanderbyl, ubiquitous and multi-talented designer, and Amy Pisansky, Luna’s new VP of Sales, were joined by Karen Cakebread of Ziata to serve up an elegant array of delights.
- Architecture Billings Index Rebounds to End 2014 on Solid Footing
- Artek at Stockholm Furniture Fair Feb. 3-7
- DIRTT and NMG to Showcase Healthcare Innovation in Dubai
- Technology Analysts Select DIRTT as Cleantech Stock of the Year
- Join Us in San Francisco Feb. 19 for a Pecha Kucha
- FLOS Holds Design Contest for SVA Students
- Heather Robertson Corrigan Honored With Keith Hooks Volunteer Excellence Award
- 2014 CIDA Award for Excellence Winners Announced
- Envisioning the Future – CIDA Future Vision Results Published
- IFI Announces Theme & Date for World Interiors Day 2015
- Architizer A+Awards
- Applied Brilliance - Spring 2015
- IIDA-IL Red Awards: Have You Submitted Yet?
- Call for Entries! 2015 Center for Active Design: Excellence Awards
- Workplace Research Paper: “Applying What Scientists Know about WHERE and HOW People Work Best”
- Galaxy Glass & Stone® Partners with 4walls®
- Joey Shimoda Creates Original Series of Designs for Feek® NA
- New Designs & Technology from Designtex
- Now Available Through Coalesse
- FXFOWLE Announces Firmwide Promotions - Senior Associates & Associates
- Jeffrey M. Young Joins the Pittsburgh Office of Perkins Eastman
- HOK Completes Acquisition of 360 Architecture
- Arc-Com Promotes Marisa Pichigian to EVP
- Michael Graves Receives 2014 AIA Presidential Citation
- Kentwood Office Furniture Consolidates Chicago Area Operations in Lombard, IL
- Edelman Announces Mark Skerik as President
- National Office Furniture Promotes Jon Leach to A+D Representative for North Texas
- Arenson Welcomes Kevin Kennedy as Vice President and Sales Director
- Dattner Architects Promotions
- CIDA Board Elects Officers, Appoints New Directors
- IFMA Facility Fusion 2015 - Apr. 21-23 in Orlando
- Jan. 22 Webinar: The Drive for Healthier Buildings
- Reminder: IDLNY Grass Roots Town Hall Jan. 28
- The Illinois Design Practitioner Act: Town Hall Meeting Jan. 27
- Looking For A Class To Prepare You For The NCIDQ?
- Stitch 10th Anniversary: Buy Earlybird Tickets Today!
- World Interiors News Awards 2015 Now Open
- ARCHIBUS Cited as a Leader in Gartner 2014 Magic Quadrant for Integrated Workplace Management Systems
- You're Invited to LAUNCH, Interior Photography: The Intensive
- You're Invited to LAUNCH, Client Management
- You're Invited to LAUNCH, Charging Strategies
- LAUNCH ONLINE: Sign Up for Social Media Marketing
- Lane Office Joins Adopt-A-Soldier Platoon to Send Care Packages
- Gunlocke Makes Significant Donations to Local Non-Profits
- Submit Presentation Proposals for Healthcare Design 2015
- Teknion Wins Five GOOD DESIGN Awards
- FLOS Wins Two 2014 GOOD DESIGN™ Awards
- Carnegie Wins Two 2014 GOOD DESIGN Awards
- GOOD DESIGN Is Seventh Industry Award for Nemschoff’s Palisade™ Collection
- Ligne Roset Cosse Sofa Wins GOOD DESIGN Award
- In Memoriam: Tony Hepburn
4.29.12 | The moderator for the IIDA-NY Chapter Pioneering Design lecture series on color awareness, Linda O’Keefe, recently published a book entitled, Brilliant: White in Design. Did not this perfect irony portend and interesting evening with colorful designers Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz and Jamie Drake?
4.29.12 | Few new companies have had as much impact on the interiors scene in the past decade as 3form, a manufacturer of sustainable building materials and architectural hardware solutions. Recently, the company was awarded HA+D’s (Hospitality Architecture+Design) Readers’ Choice Award for its Nature Gallery product and the Green Plus Award for PaperCut, both in the Surface Materials category.
4.29.12 | Rows of low profile, workbench-style furniture – Antenna Workspaces and Generation work chairs by Knoll – radiate from the central core and foster collaboration and provide welcome external views for everyone. Private focus work areas located throughout were created with frameless clear glass panels to preserve views and connectivity to teams.
4.29.12 | Chris Baldry and Alison Barnes investigated the implications of providing academics with open offices or with single person offices with floor to ceiling walls and a full height door.
4.22.12 | Felderman Keatinge, Los Angeles, is a small firm, but its ideas and designs are far from small or parochial, although a few currents of the Southern California fresh air are unmistakable. The firm won an Interiors Award for its iCrete project in the Small Office category. After the Interiors Breakfast, I snagged Mr. Felderman and Ms. Keatinge for a chat at the nearby Haworth NYC showroom, looking forward to enjoying a few minutes in that impressive and uplifting space and, perhaps, spending some more time in the FKA Collaborate chair, introduced by Haworth at NeoCon 2011.
4.22.12 | Momentum Textiles is launching a Memo Take Back program called 2 Clicks, so called because that's all it will take to return samples to Momentum's warehouse for recycling. That is why Momentum is making it a priority to offer, among other things, tech-savvy solutions to help. This is just part of a more comprehensive program that includes a Tube Takeback program, quilts for the homeless, and jackets for rescue dogs. Being environmentally responsible takes time and effort.
4.22.12 | Architecture firm Francis Cauffman did the redesign of the former federal courthouse, the Daniel L. Herrmann Courthouse, in downtown Wilmington for Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor, LLP. Young Conaway is the sole tenant of the 233,880-sq.-ft. courthouse built in 1916 and vacant since 2002.
4.22.12 | Gensler announced the winners of its fourth annual Gensler Diversity Scholarship, which recognizes emerging talent in African-American college students enrolled in accredited architecture programs. First prize went to Chisom Ezekwo of the University of Southern California, who is currently pursuing dual Bachelor of Science in Public Policy, Management, and Planning and Bachelor of Architecture degrees. Second prize was awarded to Damian Bolden, an architecture student at Auburn University.
4.22.12 | Research presented by Chris Pawson, Sarah Doherty, Laura Martin, Ruth Soares, Caroline Edmonds, and Mark Gardner on April 18 at the British Psychological Society’s annual conference indicates that human cognitive performance is influenced by hydration.
4.16.12 | We were particularly pleased that Stylex Seating from the U.S. received one of the Red Dot Award: Product Design 2012 awards for its SAVA chair, introduced at NeoCon 2010. The SAVA is an excellent chair that easily avoids stuffy formality while capturing an elegant comfortability, along with all of the expected ergonomic flexibility and adjustability.
4.16.12 | HBF and HBF Textiles added its annual contribution to the ushering in of some of the interior design industry’s uninitiated by hosting the ninth annual Pratt Institute Career Night at its showroom at the New York Design Center. Over fifty students were on hand to meet with key decision-makers of ten design firms in the New York area. Diane Barnes, HBF’s New York manager, made some opening remarks before the speed networking began.
4.16.12 | Does the contract furniture distribution model inhibit innovation in the industry because some contract furniture manufacturers restrict their aligned dealerships from selling certain “competitor” products? This is not a very thoughtful question, placing, as it does, a tactical problem in a strategic context. Surely, the market doesn’t always welcome “innovation,” especially when new products simply don’t add meaningful differentiating value to the market. But, this in turn, spurs innovation in other directions, such as new types of products and new means of distribution.
Random Walk >>
4.16.12 | The New York Eleven 2012 Student Exhibition, titled Interior Design: Raising the Bar will run in Albany’s Legislative Office Building from April 17th until April 19th. After that, it will be on display in Knoll’s New York City showroom from April 25th – April 27th. These exhibitions raise the awareness of the complexity and responsibilities of the interior design profession.
4.16.12 | Following its award-winning launch at NeoCon 2011 – Best of NeoCon Gold in Architectural Products and an Innovation Award – Seeyond Architectural Solutions will bring a new library of fully customizable Thought Starter concepts to NeoCon 2012. The Minneapolis-based company has also expanded its range of material options.
Research Design Connections: Smelling and Navigating – Sometimes Men and Women Are Not Created Equal
4.16.12 | An article recently posted on ScienceNordic highlights gender-based differences in sensory systems that influence the experience of design and design research. Women have a keener sense of smell than men … however, “The tables are turned when studies are being made of navigation skills. That’s where men rule.”